Kazan crash: Translator's notes

Mon Nov 18 21:49:11 UTC 2013

Hope no one here, or any of our friends or relatives, was affected by
yesterday's plane crash.

<http://rt.com/news/kazan-plane-crash-video-882/>

This story includes video of the doomed plane's final seconds. It won't
start unless you click the "play" icon at the center of the image.

English aviation terminology that RT didn't seem to know:

1) "The two black boxes - a voice-recording device and a parametric one
- have been recovered ..."

In Western lingo, that would be the "cockpit voice recorder (CVR)"
(речевой регистратор переговоров в кабине экипажа; кабинный магнитофон
for short) and the "flight data recorder (FDR)" (регистратор параметров
полёта, бортовой регистратор данных; бортовой регистратор for short). We
often shorten these to "voice recorder" and "data recorder" in news
reports and casual conversations.

2) "It was initially alleged that a mistake was made when carrying out a
repeat circle before landing."

We would say "executing/performing a go-around" (уход на второй круг).
The terms "repeat circle" and "second circle" (used below) do not exist
in English and would require even a pilot to pause to think. Similarly:

"... one of the pilots had informed the control tower that making a
second circle around the airport would be necessary, but then failed to
follow the guidelines..."(указания по УВД)

In other words, "that he would have to go around, but then failed to
follow the controller's instructions..." (указания диспетчера). In
addition to improving the terminology, this version also corrects the
error in parallelism by making "he" the subject of both clauses.

"He confirmed the instructions..."

We probably would say "acknowledged" (сообщение, указание подтвердил)
but "confirmed" isn't wrong; in either case he's just saying "roger." If
the pilot repeated the instructions to be extra sure he heard them
right, we might say he "read them back" (указание(я) повторил).

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com