IPads in the Ruaaian Classroom

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Fri Nov 22 00:17:14 UTC 2013

I don't work with iPads per se, but I do teach online and so students in my classes have their computer browsers open during class.  I frequently direct them to the following sites, sometimes even during live classes:
Google images (when you look up a word -- nouns mostly -- use Google images to verify that the word for "box" you chose, matches the image you have in mind).  I also use google images to have them look up interesting culturally specific images:  дед мороз, пельмени, коммуналка
https://maps.google.ru - you can type place names in English and they'll come up in Russian (along with street names and proper names of landmarks -- it's a cool way to get the proper spelling of non-Russian locations.)
Google translate -- yes, anathema -- but I direct them specifically there, so that they can get used to looking below the first choice churned out to the lists of the various parts of speech and synonyms below.  We talk about which might be the best choice of word if you wanted to talk about a box of chocolates (not a ящик) or fair weather (not справедливый).  I like to have them use google translate in conjunction with google images to get into the habit of double checking the translation.
Morphological dictionaries - in addition to the one mentioned earlier today there is also my perennial favorite with the hard to remember URL:  http://starling.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/morphque.cgi?flags=endnnnn.  When discussing various noun cases I've had students look up specific forms of nouns and tell me what possible cases it could be -- say книги.
Quizlet.com -- online flashcards that you can make yourself, add photos from Flickr to, and it has (most importantly) AUDIO!  There is an app for iPhones and iPads that allows you to practice your cards (and get high scores) on an iPad.
http://maps.yandex.ru - you can click the панорамы button to bring up blue lines and then students can enter in addresses of famous places, click on the blue lines, and get a 360 view of that location (and maybe guess the landmark).  In my online class I have them race to see who can put up the first screenshot of the famous building or site.
Music, radio streaming, classic Russian movies http://mosfilm.ru/video.html has heaps of classic Russian films available -- many with English subtitles.  I have students create discussion posts where they review various radio stations, movies, cartoons (Маша и Медведь is my current favorite) in English for extra credit
LMS apps -- if you're using any learning management software options to put assignments, quizzes, blogs, discussion boards online, iPads (and iPhones) have apps that allow students to access some of the material on the go.
Games -- online Russian hangman, Durak, 1000...
Russian classic online novels -- most of the hard core writers can be found -- some for free -- for download on the iTunes store.
There are also, I believe, companies that market quiz apps for mobile devices where a teacher can take a poll during a live class, students select answers on their devices, then it feeds to a computer with an overhead projector where the class can view the results.  This seems to be most useful in engaging students in bigger lectures rather than smaller seminars, but still one of the tools out there.
And there's probably a lot more that I've forgotten to mention...

Hope this helps!

Emily Saunders
Language Institute
blendedschools.net