Pride and Prejudice

subhash.jaireth at GMAIL.COM subhash.jaireth at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 12 23:14:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

I like Marshak's translation. It is simple, has pace and most importantly it raises expectation, wanting me to read more. Irina Gurova's seems more accurate but complicated. For me it doesn't work as an 'opening sentence'. But translation as we all know is never going to be perfect. It is like pouring water from one cup to another and of different sizes: leading either to spills or to under-fill. Or it is like an act of making love in which only one of the parties feels consummated.

Best wishes

Subhash