SEELANGS Digest - 12 Sep 2013 to 13 Sep 2013 (#2013-378)

J P Maher devilsbit06 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Sep 14 06:36:36 UTC 2013

All

The Italian is "traduttori traditori"...
A text given to ten competent translators could result in ten acceptable translations, which no
computer translation could manage.

j p maher

________________________________
 From: Robert Chandler <kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM>
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2013 1:03 AM
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] SEELANGS Digest - 12 Sep 2013 to 13 Sep 2013 (#2013-378)

Dear Subhash,

I am sorry I did not make myself clearer.   I am curious, not angry. As I often do on SEELANGS, I am asking a question!

People (of all levels of linguistic ability) just love repeating all the old lines: "Traduttore/tradittore"; "Poetry is what gets lost in translations"; etc.  Your post was a good example of this.  From the unsuprising discovery that a few people prove unable to write as well as Jane Austen at her very best, you leap to strange images of unsatisfactory lovemaking.  What I am asking is WHY so many people feel this need to make these sweeping and negative generalisations.

In answer to your new point, I don't see any reason not to "look for perfect translation or to judge one translation against another".  Though it should go without saying that perfection is not something one often finds in any realm of human achievement.

All the best,

Robert