Excellent articles on Dostoevsky and Salinger

Douglas Marshall dmarsh1219 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 15 15:52:23 UTC 2013

I read with great interest Reed Johnson's article dated September 11 in the New Yorker entitled "If Holden Caulfield Spoke Russian" (http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2013/09/translating-catcher-in-the-rye-if-holden-caulfield-spoke-russian.html). Since then it came to my attention that my former Russian professor Michael R. Katz, who has translated a dozen Russian novels into English, published an article last year in the Southwest Review, volume 97, number 4, (http://smu.edu/southwestreview/BackIssues.asp), entitled "The Fiery Furnace of Doubt", an excellent comparative discussion of faith and atheism in the works of Salinger and Dostoevsky. I heartily recommend both articles to all, especially Russian-English translators.

Douglas Marshall