Short story or play about Russian nihilists or revolutionaries

Victoria Thorstensson vit at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Mon Sep 16 16:40:56 UTC 2013

This is tough. Most of the nihilist and anti-nihilist works are novels
or novellas, and it sounds like you are looking for a short story. The
most obvious choice for me would be a short story by Dyakov-Nezlobin
from his "Circles" cycle. Unfortunately, none of them are translated.
I maintain that the nihilist/anti-nihilist distinction is very
artificial, and most of the "nihilist" and "anti-nihilist" works
recycle similar themes and have similar characters. Therefore, I think
that you can consider taking Kovalevskaya's "Nihilist Girl." It is not
very long. Although the period that it describes is more "populist"
than "nihilist," it will still be suitable for what you are trying to
achieve in your course. If you want a "nihilist" period, however,
Pomialovsky's "Molotov" is a good choice (presuming that Turgenev's
Fathers and Sons is too long for you) -- but I have not seen any
English translation of that either. There are some works by bigger
authors (bigger, that is, than Kovalevskaya or Pomialovsky) which, one
way or another, touch on the problem of nihilism. You can consider
taking Leskov's "Овцебык" or "Загадочный
человек" (they are, most likely, translated). Another genre to
consider is poetry. Try looking for the English translations of A. K.
Tolstoy's ballads about nihilism. Finally, I have some graphic novels
by Dmitry Minaev from Iskra that satirize some of the bigger polemical
novels of the period. There is very little text in them (just a few
pages) but it needs to be translated. They are hilarious.

Overall, the bottom line is that the more artistically accomplished
polemical works about nihilism in the 1860-1870s are novels and it
will be hard to find something that is considerably higher in quality
than Tolstoy's "Infected Family." If your concern is, first and
foremost, to expose students to great works of Russian literature, I
suggest taking some excerpts from Dostoevsky's Demons (e.g. the
chapter "With Our People") and providing some context for them in your
lecture.

Best,

Vika (Victoria Thorstensson)
Quoting "Kevin M. F. Platt" <kmfplatt at sas.upenn.edu>:

> Dear colleagues:
>
> I would like to find a short work in English translation about
> Russian revolutionaries, radicalism or terrorism dating from the
> late 19C. This is for a cultural history/social history course that
> I teach in which I alternate between lecture and discussion modes
> and place short works into historical context--it's for the "terror
> and revolution" week. I would love to find a short anti-nihilist
> work (as opposed to the big anti-nihilist novels, which are too long
> for my purposes), or an anti-nihilist play (I've used Tolstoy's
> "Infected Family," but it's so lacking in literary merits that I
> want to get away from it). Suggestions?
>
> kp
>
> Kevin M. F. Platt
> Edmund J. and Louise W. Kahn Term Professor in the Humanities
> University of Pennsylvania
>
> kmfplatt at sas.upenn.edu
> http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/slavic/faculty/platt.htm
>
> T: 215-908-1685; F: 215-573-7794