Essay on Soviet / Jewish Food

Margaret Samu margaret.samu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 17 14:22:36 UTC 2013

Dear Ben and All,

Thank you for posting this. It turns out that the heroine of the book--the
author's mother--is none other than my neighbor, Larisa Frumkin, whom I
also see at the Met Museum, where she's a docent (you can catch her
Russian-language Highlights tour, Шедевры музея, on Thursdays or Fridays).
I had no idea she was about to become such a celebrity!

For those in the New York area, there will be a book reading/signing event
at the Strand Bookstore this Thursday evening. According to Larisa, it's
appearing in a number of different languages, and the publisher is
evidently putting quite a lot into the publicity.

There was also a story about it on NPR this morning:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/09/17/223053778/kitchen-time-machine-a-culinary-romp-through-soviet-history

Best regards,
Margaret