[w] for [v] in the speech of Russians speaking English

Marina Antić mantic at WISC.EDU
Tue Sep 17 18:15:08 UTC 2013

I can speak only for the Bosnian/Croatian/Montenegrin/Serbian here as
that is my native language and I often mistake v and w especially if
they are in the same word or if there is aliteration, that is,
would-be-aliteration in my mind. For example, "very worried" is a tongue
twister for me.

As for the "uo" standing in for "w" phonetically, I would caution that
it really depends on the dialect. Depending on dialect, the stress falls
on either "u" or "o" and it is only with the latter that it approximates
the "w" sound. Perhaps there are other examples that would approximate
it better.

Regardless, I believe far more important in this case is the very logic
of the BCMS alphabet by which the letters "v" and "w" look very alike
and therefore should/ought to sound alike. In BCMS, it was Vuk
Karadzic's famous "one letter, one sound" orthography that creates this
association. At least among the non-linguists.

Marina Antic