[w] for [v] in the speech of Russians speaking English

Piper Wheeler pmcwheeler at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 18 08:52:12 UTC 2013

I've often wondered about this, due not least to my first Russian teacher
substituting the "w" in English *only* in the word "village" (=willage).
Because I've since noticed this particular pronunciation in a number of
Russians whose English is otherwise very correct, I've thought the "w"
cropped up due to the short "ih" sound that's so foreign to native Russian
speakers. This isn't a rigorously, linguistically informed opinion, and I'm
interested to hear more reasoned answers.
It does seem, though, that the "w" appears before phonemes that are rare or
nonexistent in Russian-- so we see "wery" and "willage." I don't think any
Slavic native speaker would say woracious, Kurt Wonnegut, woodoo, or wandal
(=vandal). For example.
PW

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs