[w] for [v] in the speech of Russians speaking English

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 18 10:54:03 UTC 2013

Interesting points raised by both john and piper. SLA research has consistently shown that language acquisition is systematic and not as dependent on the L1 as might be supposed. Hence the difficulties experienced by Scottish learners. Piper's observation regarding the linguistic environment in which variation occurs is also widely studied. That is whether the phoneme occurs at the beginning, middle or end as well as what sounds proceed or follow. In this case it appears to act as a variable at the beginning of a word and when followed by \i\ or \I:\. It would he interesting to test this hypothesis. I'm not aware of any studies but if anyone out there is, I'd love to get the references.
AM

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs