Russian Enrollment Fall Semester: CCPCR Census

John Schillinger jschill at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu Sep 19 13:55:11 UTC 2013

Dear colleague!

	In regard to the query about increases in Russian enrollment, here's a good way to find out:

	The Fall 2013 census of college and university Russian programs is now in progress.   We are requesting your current enrollments now that the semester is underway and your class numbers have, for the most part, stabilized.   Hopefully, things have settled down for the fall semester, and we'd appreciate it if you would please take a couple of minutes to help us (and you!)  follow the national trends in our discipline.   Last year's data continuied to reflect stability and some growth in enrollments, but this year's data could identify a new trend.  Over 80 college and university programs responded with their numbers in fall 2012.

	As in the past, we are requesting your 1st and 2nd year enrollments in Russian.  In addition to Russian, we are also listing any OTHER SLAVIC and EE LANGUAGES taught at your institution.  Over 80 institutions responded last year, and their data is now available on the website (just click on the website address below to get to the home page and the College/University enrollment data).  Along with your Russian enrollments, we will list those additional languages; and if you have the data, the enrollments at the first and 2nd year levels in those languages.

	You can easily access the CCPCR website to view past responses from your program and others around the country by clicking on the website  address below.   There you will find the display of last year's data and Russian enrollments dating back to 2002 by selecting the College Enrollment link on the home page.  Other Slavic and EE language data is provided for the past two years.

	Please respond with your information by selecting our e-mail address: ccpcr at american.edu.  This link is also available on the home page  in the College and University enrollments section.

	 If If you don't have access to your Russian enrollment numbers, but can provide a list of the Slavic and EE languages taught at the 1st and 2nd year levels, please send that.  A national overview of the extent of our offerings in Slavic and EE languages, or at least a sense of the extent, will emerge from your responses to give the profession a better idea of the distribution and depth of such courses across the country.

Many thanks for providing your program's data!

John

John Schillinger, Emeritus Prof. of Russian
American University, Washington, DC
Chair, CCPCR
Committee on College and Pre-College Russian
e-mail: ccpcr at american.edu
website:
http://www1.american.edu/research/CCPCR/

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs