Rise in Russian Enrollment Fall Semester

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Thu Sep 19 20:07:32 UTC 2013

FIRST, our answer to the original question is that we have twice as many
students as last year in Beginning Russian, 19 instead of 10, in a small
private lib arts college of approx. 1,600, so roughly like Sarah Lawrence.
BUT that's probably because we decided to open up a second section of
Russian-One, at a different time, and we got 8 and 12, now 8 and 11.
(German did it ten years ago and their increased enrollments still hold,
though their retention rate into second-year is not a "good" as ours.)
Oh, and my colleague and I are co-teaching that second section ... as an
overload. The jury's still out but it appears opening up another section
helps.
If anyone wonders, we get only 1-2 heritage students a year.

SECOND, I want to draw attention to what Walt did to keep more students in
second year. Clever, and he got results.

Here at Wheaton, we comb the schedule and check with other departments
(esp. History, Econ and PoliSci) to try and avoid conflicts with our
second-year and advanced classes. And we have on occasion changed our
schedule. For years we had an arrangement with Poli Sci that none of their
four Russian politics courses would be taught MWF, and we left TTh alone.
Then complications set in, but we still check with each other.
This term History checked with *us* before scheduling their Russian History
course !!!

Best,
-FR

--