Vowel breaking in Russian

Anna Razumnaya theblackhen at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 23 01:08:43 UTC 2013

Dear Don,

My immediate intuition is that your colleague is pulling your leg. But it is also true that "native speakers" will pronounce their vowels (and not only) differently depending not only on the place one was raised but also on the decade of his or her birth. It seems a more reliable piece of information that one can tell the age of an unfamiliar caller on the phone, granted that we're speaking to a Muscovite, by the way she or he pronounces the 'sh' sound. Someone who is now about sixty will make it sound closer to a 'f', while a person in her thirties is more likely to turn her 'sh' into something like 'sch', sometimes with a slight whistle. But something as extreme as what you describe belongs to jest, eccentricity, and the peculiar mannerisms of former secret police servicemen. Also, I know someone who likes to say 'doa' instead of 'da', to let you know that his tongue is firmly in his cheek.

Best wishes,

AR

Sent from my iPad