SEELANGS Digest - 22 Sep 2013 (#2013-400)

Jana G jana.guignard at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 23 20:15:31 UTC 2013

In my experience, I would link this double vowel break (as you say) to
stress and intonation. 'не' for example if emphasized would absolutely
sound slighty as nye-a. So, I would think in questions we would tend to
hear вы as vi-ye if emphasized.  I am studying Polish at the moment, and I
hear it as well. I think that this is not special to Slavic languages but
also is present in English. Imagine the word what in a statement 'wut'
versus 'whaaat? -the intonation would make it longer and thus could be
mistaken by a not native ear as two syllables. Of course, this is not the
perfect English example, but I think it is comparable.

My two zł.

JG -M.A in Slavic Lit & Lang