Big Brother?

Genevra Gerhart genevragerhart at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 28 17:56:22 UTC 2013

Surely, we can organize!

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Katz, Michael R.
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2013 10:30 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Big Brother?

Dear Comrades:

The following announcement was recently sent to all employees of Middlebury
College.

At first I thought it was a joke; alas, it is for real.

Big Brother is watching us.

Michael Katz

EthicsPoint Reporting System

An announcement from Patrick Norton, Vice President for Finance and
Treasurer

As members of Middlebury, all of us, regardless of position, share the
responsibility to promote a culture of integrity. To help accomplish this
goal, we have recently installed a new phone and Internet-based ethics
reporting system managed by EthicsPoint.  Serving more than 2,000
organizations world-wide, EthicsPoint is committed to helping organizations
like ours by facilitating the reporting and identification of issues that
are inconsistent with our policies.

We hope you feel comfortable bringing potential ethical issues or concerns
to your supervisor. But we understand that this is not always the case. This
new system provides an alternative channel for you to communicate your
concerns confidentially and anonymously. We have partnered with EthicsPoint
to manage the reporting system for us. They have gone to great lengths to
ensure that reports entered in the system are completely confidential.