etymology

Dorian Juric dorian06 at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 1 18:32:17 UTC 2014

I have it from a better source that the -in suffix is thought by some linguists to be a borrowing from Finno-Ugric languages.

Dorian Juric, MA
PhD Student
Department of Anthropology
Chester New Hall 534
McMaster University
Hamilton, ON
L8S 4L9
Canada

Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 17:25:24 +0000
From: dorian06 at HOTMAIL.COM
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] etymology
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU

Please don't put much stock in this, I only dabble in linguistics, but I was always led to believe that -ov endings were the most common because they related patrilineal descent and that they -in endings were for those rare matrilines that arose through various historical processes (and probably often shame). I'm not sure how that information ever came to me or how valid it is, but it seems to make sense given that it mirrors (at least BCSM) possessive forms (Jasnina jabuka, Markova jabuka).