etymology

Olia Prokopenko oprokop at TEMPLE.EDU
Tue Apr 1 21:40:11 UTC 2014

Oh goodness.The article about Putin's genealogy recalls a chapter in
Voinovich's *Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin* about Chonkin being a
descendant of Prince Golitsyn (who was stationed in Chonkin's village a
year or more before Chonkin's birth).

OP

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 3:58 PM, Tony Brown <tony_brown at byu.edu> wrote:

> John,
>
> In 2002, Pravda.ru published an article entitled: "The Mysterious
> Genealogy of President Putin," which may be of interest to you.  You can
> access the article using the following link:
> http://english.pravda.ru/business/finance/05-11-2002/1528-putin-0/
>
> Tony Brown
>
> On 3/31/14 1:36 PM, "John Dingley" <jdingley43 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> >Hi!
> >
> >Can someone enlighten me as to the etymology of the
> >Russian family name Путин? Presumably one does not
> >want to derive it from путь since путь is an
> >original masculine -i stem noun (the only one to
> >survive into Modern Russian) and one would expect
> >*Путев, which is the case with other family names
> >derived from masculine -i stems, e.g
> >Медведев < медведь
> >Зверев < зверь
> >Голубев < голубь
> >
> >As a rule of thumb, the suffix -ин is used to form
> >family names from nouns ending in -а/-я, e.g
> >Воронин < ворона, Ленин < Лена and feminine
> >-i stems, e.g. Сталин < сталь.  The suffix
> >-ов/-ев being used elsewhere. This distribution
> >betrays their possessive adjective origin.
> >
> >Unbegaun (p.161) explains Распутин as a nickname,
> >where different formation rules apply.
> >
> >John Dingley

>                         http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs

Olia Prokopenko,
Instructor, Russian Program Coordinator and Adviser

Anderson Hall 551
FGIS, Temple University,
1114 W.Berks St.
Philadelphia, PA 19122