iPhone (Verizon) in Moscow & St. Petersburg?

Renee (Stillings) Huhs renee at ALINGA.COM
Fri Apr 11 21:28:09 UTC 2014

Somewhat related to this - I have used the T-Mobile free data roaming in
Russia and overall it works well. No additional charge and you get unlimited
data (email/internet) and SMS. And local calls only $0.20/min. So unlike in
the past, I do keep my US phone "live" while in Russia and don't panic about
the $5/min (like it used to be) when someone calls for no particular reason.
Only two issues. First, I sometimes find that I cannot SMS successfully
every Russian number - can't figure out why some get through and not others.
But I also have this issue from the US when SMS'ing Russia. Second, if you
have locals calling you, they may not want to have to call a US number to do
so. Thus, if I am there longer than a day or two I also use a secondary
local phone.

Renee

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of E Elliott
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2014 2:13 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] iPhone (Verizon) in Moscow & St. Petersburg?

Ditto. Please ON-LIST!

--Elisabeth Elliott

Slavic Dept.
Northwestern University

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Amanda Ewington <amewington at davidson.edu>
wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

For travel to Russia I usually purchase a Russian SIM card to use in my old
"unlocked" flip phone. This time around I am wondering whether it makes
sense to try Verizon's "Global data" plan.  Looks pretty good on paper, but
I am wondering if it actually works.  I'd love to hear from anyone with
direct experience using Verizon's Global plans on an iPhone 5S in Moscow &
St. Petersburg.

Please respond off list: amewington at davidson.edu

Thank you!

Amanda

Amanda Ewington, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department Chair
Russian Studies

Davidson College
Box 6936
Davidson, NC 28035-6936
www.davidson.edu/russian
www.ecrsa.org
Tel 704-894-2397
Fax 704-894-2782

options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs
                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs