iPhone in Russia: follow-up

Ewington, Amanda amewington at DAVIDSON.EDU
Tue Apr 15 12:20:23 UTC 2014

Thank you for the many helpful responses to my query about phones in Russia.  Below I have summarized responses for the list.  Please take everything I say with a grain of salt.  I do not pretend to be an expert on any of this.  I am just fumbling around trying to make sense of it all!

  1.  One colleague has had positive first-hand experience with the Verizon Global plan on his iPhone 5s.  No problems.  He likes that he can also use it in other European countries for stop overs after Russia.  He still uses a separate phone with a local number for keeping in touch within Russia.  If you rely only on a global plan like Verizon's, people within Russia would have to dial a US number and incur costs for an international call every tine they called you.  Obviously, not ideal.
  2.  Someone else  had a negative experience with the Verizon Global, but on an iPhone 4.  That response was "on list." if you'd like details.
  3.  Another colleague has had no problem with using her iPhone and a local Russian SIM card (nano sized) during her stay in Irkutsk.
  4.  All seem to agree that Skype or Viber or other such programs are the best bet for keeping in touch with people back home.

As for the dream of simply placing a Russian SIM card in my iPhone, the jury is still out.  Seems to boil down to 2 complicating factors:

  1.  LTE vs. GSM: If you want LTE, seems like it depends on which model of iPhone you have.  According to Apple's website, different models are compatible with networks in different countries: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ That page suggests that the only models compatible with Russian networks are the iPhone C (Model A1507) and the iPhone S (Model A1457).  My own model (A1533 CDMA) apparently will not work with LTE bands in Russia. Sounds like my phone would work with the GSM network, but Megafon cards that can be pre-purchased here do not come in nano size (see below)
  2.  Regular-sized SIM cards vs. the "nano" or "mini" size required by the iPhone: Seems the iPhone requires a "nano" size SIM that can apparently be purchased from dealers in Russia but not from Telestial.  They offer only regular-sized Megafon SIM cards.  So, if you're going for a longer stay and can wait to set up your phone until after arrival, the local nano SIM for your iPhone might be the way to go.

As for me, I plan to take my old unlocked flip phone after all, with a pre-purchased Megafon SIM card.  Once I get there I will purchase a cheap Russian smartish phone to make texting a bit easier.

I hope this clarifies rather than muddies the issue further.

Amanda