"to play the devil's advocate": a Russian equivalent?

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu Apr 17 19:17:08 UTC 2014

I totally agree with Jules. And as it transpired from Gasan's message,
it is rather new, as expressions go. What is old is saying about
someone who is contrarian that дух противоречия в него вселился.

On Apr 17, 2014, at 3:01 PM, Jules Levin wrote:

> This concept goes back to the Catholic Church's procedure for
> determining sainthood.  In addition to the clergy arguing for
> sainthood, a clergyman (priest? cardinal? bishop?) was appointed to
> argue against--he was the "devil's advocate".  If the Orthodox
> Church had a similar procedure, there should be an old authentic
> term; otherwise, however it's said in Russian would be a translation
> of some western language.
> Jules Levin

> options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
>                       http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
WLC, American University