Thank you! (Teffi: Olyonushka and her apples)

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Thu Apr 24 06:48:03 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to what turned out to be a very interesting discussion.

I don't think that textual corruption is a serious worry.  I have checked several editions, including the first.  The more serious difficulty is that this is direct speech, that people do not always express themselves with perfect clarity and in perfect grammar when they are speaking, and that Teffi is aware of this.

Including all the offlist responses, there was a majority (far from an overwhelming one) in favour of the second reading.  I msyelf keep changing my mind!

I'd like to mention one rather good solution, contributed offlist by Christopher Tauchen, who writes: "I may have found a sneaky way of getting the mezhdu prochim into your dialogue. Not sure if it's appropriate to your character, but here goes: 'You've just gone and eaten a dozen apples in one sitting!' It's a nice way of scolding/accusing someone for something they didn't really mean to do, but still ought to have known better."

I might even go for this: 'You have, by the way, just gone and eaten a dozen apples in one sitting!'

So: Спасибо большое!

Роберт