Analogs of Vysotsky: my replies

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Mon Feb 10 07:12:18 UTC 2014

Vadim,

I think, to include Vysotsky's acting next to Jon Bon Jovi's does a grave
disservice to the former (to adopt your own phrasing J)

I won't push this as we seem mostly focused on music here, but part of the
original discussion was how ingrained Vystotsky is in the national
consciousness. His acting, in my opinion, definitely contributed to that and
contributes to what makes him wholly unique - an orange that we are
comparing to our English-speaking apples:

Bon Jovi has done mostly bit parts and small roles - the type of things that
you can do when you are not really an actor but someone whose name can land
you on screen. Elvis, I would argue, was also not an actor. Like The
Monkeys, he did cross genres, but he did so primarily in relation to his
music. Elvis' films, like The Monkeys' TV shows, were music videos before
there were music videos.

Vysotsky is unique in that his acting actually contributed to the art of
acting. He acted substantive roles in which he could offer real social
commentary and in which he actually had stretch his character and become
someone new. It is for this reason that we still distantly remember him for
his acting - but most of us will have to look up Bon Jovi on IMBD to recall
what, exactly, he actually appeared in.

So, I would argue, in terms of his lasting fame, his acting should be
considered. Then again, I hold a degree in theatre, so I am partial. J

PS - in terms of a modern example of an English-speaking singer who managed
to turn actor and can actually hold his own on screen, Justin Timberlake
come to mind. His socially-relevant role in Alpha Dog was very well
portrayed and something of a stretch for him - but then, we can't really
compare Timberlake to Vysotsky either:

Josh Wilson
Assistant Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor in Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
SRAS.org
jwilson at sras.org