Video from Olympics opening

Vladimir Orlov v.orlov05 at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 10 12:58:01 UTC 2014

Dear Linda,

you may try this: http://rutube.ru/video/fb473dbe60a6cb13024daea753bfc8b4/
You will have to search for the other parts;

if this does not open outside Russia, try using hidemyass.com . Sorry
for the foul word, but this resourse have always been reliable so far.

Of course, this video is in some details different from what was shown
for the outsiders; but all omissions are easily found on the same
rutube channel as well..

Sincerely,

On 10 February 2014 16:48, Linda Scatton <linda.scatton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I missed the opening ceremony for the Sochi Olympics. Does anyone know of a
> site where I can view the whole sequence? I've found only snippets so far.
>
> Linda Scatton
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Feb 9, 2014, at 11:41 PM, "Carr, Christopher"
> <christopher_carr at BROWN.EDU> wrote:
>
> I would like to echo how interesting this discussion has been. Thanks,
> everyone! Enjoying all of the suggestions/comments in this thread. A couple
> more points:
>
> 1. As has been noted, it probably isn't possible to come up with an exact
> parallel to Vysotsky. If pressed, I would vote for Dylan. One of the
> original criticisms against this was that Dylan only spoke to the American
> intelligentsia while Vysotsky's influence was more universal in the USSR.
> That may be true (although others in this list have written about Dylan's
> broad influence, with which I agree), but it could be argued that they were
> both speaking to the same audience. This depends on the definition of
> "intelligentsia," but if that term is defined broadly as those who are
> socially and politically conscious, then Vysotsky spoke to the same people.
> The only difference is that there were many more Soviet citizens into that
> category than Americans. In any case, I think it's wrong to compare the
> influence and talent levels of Vysotsky and Dylan et al. I don't think
> anyone could possibly have had the same influence in America that Vysotsky
> did in the USSR. Attention is pulled in too many different directions over
> here (but it's fun to hear everyone argue for their favorites!). I don't
> mean this as an insult, but there's a reason why there are 8-10
> American/British artists on that list and only one Soviet.
>
> 2. In terms of more contemporary comparisons, several have mentioned Cobain
> as the best parallel to Vysotsky. Cobain and Nirvana were great and hugely
> influential; there is no denying that. And it is impossible to say what they
> might have done post-1994 (although I don't think very much). But the most
> appropriate comparison is actually Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam. Some might
> balk at this, as Pearl Jam was grossly miscategorized as the sellout,
> commercial version of Nirvana/grunge. But this is simply not true. In terms
> of the criteria identified by the original posting (poetics, voice,
> performance, influence, etc...Sorry, I don't remember them exactly.), then
> Vedder completely blows Cobain out of the water. (Chris Cornell was better
> than Cobain, too.) Nirvana was great. But Pearl Jam was always better. They
> had better lyrics/poetics and better music/musicians. Vedder's voice is
> light years better (better than most, not just Cobain's). Pearl Jam was more
> popular (then and now) and they were more socially and politically active.
> Cobain didn't even seem like he liked his own fans. And in terms of
> performance, Pearl Jam killed it every night with their philosophy of not
> [...]

Dr. Vladimir Orlov
PhD in Musicology (Cantab)
Associate Professor, Smolny-Bard College
Faculty of Liberal Arts & Sciences, St. Petersburg State University
http://spbu.academia.edu/VladimirOrlov
Trustee for Cultural and Artistic Affairs, Russian Cambridge Foundation
www.russiancambridge.org