In defense of Vysotsky

Sentinel76 Astrakhan thysentinel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 11 06:54:03 UTC 2014

Dear Yevgeniy:

I suspect you haven't heard enough of Vysotsky to make generalizations like this.

> From my point of view Vysotsky is a first rate author of
comical songs. Such masterpieces as "Mishka Shifman", "Razgovor pered
televizorom, "Tatuirovka", "Lektsiia o mezhdunarodnom polozhenii v
vytrezvitele", and some others  will stay in Russian culture. His war
and "criminal" songs are of less importance.

For one:  says who?  I believe exactly the opposite.  His humor was definitely superb, but it's his "serious" songs that make him still relevant.  In fact, nothing ages faster than humor.  Also, you know he had songs that were NOT "comical," "war," or "criminal," right?

Over the years, I have come across a curious phenomenon.  Many Russian people, even those calling themselves "fans of Vysotsky," have rather limited knowledge of the scope of his work.  They have heard his early "blatnye" songs, some humorous songs, songs from "The Vertical," maybe "Alice in Wonderland," plus the omni-present "Wolfhunt" and "Horses."  Songs that truly constitute his philosophical legacy and put him in the realm of world-class poetry have escaped them for several reasons.  They were written later, with fewer performances and fewer recordings remaining.  Vysotsky did not perform them as much as his "hits," because they were too heavy, too antagonistic and he couldn't risk playing them in concerts before the unfamiliar audience.  And so on.  "Someone Spotted a Fruit," "Life Flew By," "A Grand Mistake," "History of Illness," "The Herbarium," "My Destiny," "The Highwayman's Song" (Razboinichia), and so on.

As for his acting:  do you seriously not see the difference between Bengalsky from "Opasnye Gastroli," Moor Ibrahim, Zheglov, and Don Juan?  Sure, he was type-cast, but come on!

Alexei:  fortunately, you are in the minority.  Vysotsky's melodies were second to none in the catchiness department.  In fact, with all their poetic genius, they would not have been nearly as successful, if they weren't instantly memorable.

Matthew:  why would I ask Chuck D ANYTHING? :)  Your treatment of Elvis sounds a little revisionist, but then again:  it has been over 60 years since his prime, it's hard to stay relevant for that long.  I did hear my coworker listen to Elvis two days ago, and she is not even forty.

Cheers,
Vadim

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs