Analogs of Vysotsky - IV

Alexei Bogdanov alexei.bogdanov at COLORADO.EDU
Tue Feb 11 14:56:06 UTC 2014

Dear Yevgeny,

I'm sorry, I just don't know Vysotsky's songs well enough to participate in this discussion.
What I tried to say is that he was not a hero for me because he was not a good musician.

Cheers,
Alexei

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Yevgeniy Slivkin
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 8:59 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Analogs of Vysotsky - IV

Dear Alexei,

It is the same as to say that a Russian poem can't  be translated into English, French or German. Yet the world practice of poetic translation proves that it can. With some losses and same gains it can!
This discussion is about finding a cultural equivalent to Vladimir Vysotsky, that is to "translate" Vysotsky in the cultural sense of this verb.

>From my point of view Vysotsky is a first rate author of comical songs. Such masterpieces as "Mishka Shifman", "Razgovor pered televizorom, "Tatuirovka", "Lektsiia o mezhdunarodnom polozhenii v vytrezvitele", and some others  will stay in Russian culture. His war and "criminal" songs are of less importance.

As for his acting, he is a typical "star" who remains almost the same in each role he plays.  Galileo, Hamlet, Zhiglov are still Vladimir Vysotsky with his powerful stage presence and machismo. That is to say that he is not at all a great actor.  He was an actor of a rather narrow scope, although very charming one.

Regards,

Yevgeny Slivkin
University of Denver