Analogs of Vysotsky - IV

Liv Bliss bliss.mst at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 11 17:15:23 UTC 2014

I'm not touting for Bob Marley in the Vysotsky stakes -- that would be the ultimate exercise in comparing apples to grapes -- but I have to take issue with any claim that he wasn't a storyteller. (Mind you, I've been a fan for decades but didn't know what he was saying half the time, until the Internet came to my rescue.) I'm sure there are better examples than this, but it's the only one that comes right now to my frazzled brain:

I remember when we used to sit / In the government yard in Trenchtown, / And then Georgie would make the fire light, / I say, logwood burning through the night. / Then we would cook cornmeal porridge / Of which I'll share with you. / My feet is my only carriage / And so I've got to push on through.

I think Vysotsky would get this.

Best to all
Liv

Liv Bliss
ATA-Certified Russian to English Translator
tel.: (928) 367 1615

We have to protect the forest to keep the unicorns alive
Timothy Westbrook: Project Runway, Season 12