In defense of Vysotsky

Bernard Besserglik besserglik at WANADOO.FR
Wed Feb 12 13:00:13 UTC 2014

Dear Vadim,

This is a fair point, and I accept that it's probably going too far to
say that he "stood against" the Soviet authorities or risked his life
on matters of principle. He was no Vaclav Havel. On the other hand,
there were mutterings around the time of his death that he might have
been done away with by the KGB. and as you yourself indicate he stood
out as "being free in the unfree world," in itself a strong enough
indictment of the world he lived in. It was a posture that must have
required some courage, or at least a willingness to take risks.

The point of my contribution was simply to say that there is surely no
comparison to be made between Vysotsky and the singer-songwriters of
the West who for the most part ran no greater risk than that of being
ignored, or possibly of succumbing to a drug overdose. Some of them
were extremely gifted - names which stand out for me are Randy Newman,
Tim Buckley, Phil Ochs and of course Bob Dylan - but there was a
consisderable market demand for their work and they tended to have
recording contracts which ensured they could perform and sing without
fear of arrest whatever texts they chose to write.

Vysotsky was one of a kind and although the range of his talents and
his personal charisma were such that he was never exactly short of a
bob or two, he at times sailed close to a very cold wind indeed. One
whom that wind swept away was Victor Jara, while another who chose to
devote his considerable talents to an unpopular cause he believed in
while remaining indifferent to considerations of personal wellbeing
was Woody Guthrie. Both names have become the stuff of legend, and the
former has an asteroid named after him. Beat that, Vlady!

Bernard

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs