Translating Θεοτοκος / Богородица

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Fri Feb 14 21:57:06 UTC 2014

Dear Slavists,

I am considering possible alternatives to "Mother of God" in translating Russian "Bogoroditsa" (which is a calque on Greek "Theotokos" according to Fasmer).  Some possibilities:

Godbearer
Birth-giver of God
Godbirther
Birther of God
The God-bearing One

The christological and mariological consequences of the terminology here have been enormous (see, for example, the four columns of fine print under the entry "theotokos" in Lampe's Patristic Greek Lexicon).  From a psychological perspective, "Mother of God" is too inclusive, for there is much more to mothering God than giving birth to him.  So Latin "Deipara" was a precise rendition of "Theotokos," while "Mater Dei" came later.  Analogously, I am looking for a more precise rendition of "Bogoroditsa," and I have tentatively chosen one in a major revision of a passage from an earlier book, The Joy of All Who Sorrow (2005).  For the time being, it reads as pasted in below.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

With regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs