question about dialogues in 'Golosa'

Marina Aptekman maptekman at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 27 20:32:38 UTC 2014

Dear Seelangers.

I am wondering how those of you who teach 2nd year "Golosa" handle the
dialogues. Do you simply go over them and read them with students, do you
require students only to read/record them, or also to memorize? If you
require memorization, how do you structure it? Does each student pair have
to memorize one dialogue only, or students are required to memorize all of
them over two-three weeks time? And my most important question: what do you
think: how much, in your opinion, does the memorization of the dialogues
really help the students to know and remember the vocabulary of the unit?
How important the dialogues are for the chapter, in your view?

We have only 3 classes a week, the dialogues take a lot of time, and
recently I am wondering if memorizing them indeed stays in student's brain
after he or she finished performing the dialogue....so I am grateful for
any suggestion/s how to use the dialogues in a productive way.

Thank you,
Marina Aptekman
Assistant Professor
Hobart and William Smith Colleges