ASEEES 2014 Panel: Nikolai Leskov

Victoria Thorstensson vit at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Mon Jan 6 18:32:47 UTC 2014

Dear SEELANGERS,

To commemorate the 150th anniversary of his first novel, No Way Out,
we are organizing a panel on Nikolai Leskov for the 2014 ASEEES
Convention in San Antonio. We are looking for one more presenter, a
chair, and a discussant. We are especially interested in papers that
explore Leskov’s work as a polemical novelist, but papers dedicated
to his journalistic work or short stories are also welcome. One of the
papers will analyze No Way Out as a polemical and artistic answer to
Turgenev’s Fathers and Sons and Chernyshevsky’s What Is To Be
Done? Viewing No Way Out as “mothers and daughters” to
Turgenev’s “fathers and sons,” the paper shows how Leskov’s
reinterpretation of the generational conflict through the lens of the
Woman Question significantly widens our understanding of the debate on
nihilism in 1860s Russia. Another examines the informers and false
accusations of being an informer found in Leskov’s fiction.
Co-existing with the standard condemnations against informing
widespread in Russian culture and elsewhere, there are morally complex
and even heroic informers in Leskov, whose works engage, sometimes
explicitly, with the tragic informer Mazepa in Pushkin’s Poltava.

If you are interested in joining this panel, please send your paper
topic and a brief abstract to Victoria Thorstensson at
vit at sas.upenn.edu. If interested in chairing the panel or serving as a
discussant, send us a brief description of your current academic
research and/or affiliation. To be included in the panel, please
respond by January 12.

Victoria Thorstensson
Visiting Fellow, Yale University

Erik McDonald