discussant needed -- Ethnic Identity in Multicultural Society

Natalie Kononenko nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Wed Jan 15 15:35:32 UTC 2014

Quick note to add from me to anyone considering discussing on this
panel.  I'll be talking about weddings and the ritual objects used in
weddings. Based on my Canadian fieldwork in Northern Alberta and
Northern Saskatchewan.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:07 PM, Laura Olson Osterman
<lolson at colorado.edu> wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
> At the 11th hour we're looking for a discussant for a panel on Ethnic
> Identity in a Multicultural Society -- it is truly interdisciplinary,
> dealing with rituals, literature, music, dance, and material culture, in
> the contexts of diaspora communities (Ukrainians in Canada and Russians in
> Germany) and a multicultural area in Macedonia. All three papers take an
> ethnographic perspective (see below).
> Should be a fun panel.
> Thanks!!
> Laura Osterman
>

> 1) Breininger-Umetayeva, Olga , PhD Candidate, Harvard University
> "Diaspora Identity in a Multicultural Society
> (a case study of the contemporary Russian diaspora in Germany)"
>

> 2) Dave Wilson:The Galičnik Wedding and State-Sponsored Ritual in the
> Republic of Macedonia
>  .
> 3) KONONENKO, Natalie.  University of Alberta
> LINKING OBJECTS: CONSTRUCTING UKRAINIAN CANADIAN IDENTITY

>                         http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs

Natalie Kononenko
Kule Chair of Ukrainian Ethnography
University of Alberta