Important Survey on the State of Area and Language Studies in the US

Park, Lynda lypark at PITT.EDU
Fri Jan 17 15:30:24 UTC 2014

Dear Colleagues:

I am writing to you with a request to assist in efforts to collect data on Slavic, East European, and Eurasian studies experts' training and careers. The National Council of Area Studies Associations, of which ASEEES is a member, is conducting a survey that will produce a picture of the present and future of language and area studies in the United States. ASEEES is spearheading this effort. The data collected will represent area and language studies experts from different world regions with diverse disciplinary specialties. We request 10-20 minutes of your time in filling out this important survey by Saturday, February 1.

A number of trends across universities and within the U.S. Department of Education have raised concerns about the training of the next generation of area studies experts. As U.S. federal funding for area and language studies has dramatically decreased in the last few years, it has become increasingly important for our profession to show reliable data on the state of the field. We know you share our commitment to in-depth language training, cultural immersion, and nuanced expertise, so we ask you to participate in this survey as part of an effort to inform and influence policies that will affect our future.

The survey can be found at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NCASA2014

The data gathered by this survey will be presented at a policy research conference in April of 2014, "Internationalization of U.S. Education in the 21st Century: The Future of International and Foreign Language Studies": http://www.aseees.org/new/IFLE.php  Data from the study will also be published in scholarly publications, and used to inform scholars, educators and funders about the current situation and future prospects for international and foreign language studies in the U.S.

What: area studies experts' survey
Where: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NCASA2014
When: by Saturday, February 1

If you have any questions or concerns about the survey, or if you experience any technical difficulties, please contact Dr. Laura Adams, the principal investigator of the study, at ladams at fas.harvard.edu<mailto:ladams at fas.harvard.edu>.

I thank you in advance for your participation in the survey and apologize for duplicate postings on other listservs.

Regards,

Lynda Park, Executive Director
Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies
203C Bellefield Hall
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260-6424 USA
+1 (412) 648-9788 (direct), +1 (412) 648-9911 (main)
+1 (412) 648-9815 (fax)
www.aseees.org<http://www.aseees.org/>
Find us on Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Association-for-Slavic-East-European-and-Eurasian-Studies/141362775903086> | Join us on LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=2585509> | Follow us on Twitter<http://twitter.com/#!/aseeestudies>

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs