Death of Thomas Butler

Loren Billings sgnillib at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 25 22:11:49 UTC 2014

Martha Forsyth recently posted in the Bulgarian Studies Association list:

BEGIN
I am sorry to have to share the news I received yesterday, that Prof.
Thomas Butler passed away earlier this week, at age 84.

Tom authored "Monumenta Bulgarica: A Bilingual Anthology of Bulgarian
Texts from the 9th to the 19th Centuries", published in 1996 by
University of Michigan as part of their Michigan Slavic Materials
collection. As he states in his Preface: "The operative assumption
throughout this book has been that if we wish to begin to understand a
nation, we must first come to terms with its cultural memory." The
texts begin with St. Constantine-Cyril's "Sermon on the translation fo
the relics of St. Clement of Rome" and continue through the 19th
century National Revival; also included are folklore materials -
songs, folktales, proverbs, riddles, and incantations.

For Bulgarian Studies Association, however, I'm not sure if he was one
of the founding members, but he was certainly one of the early
members, holding the position of Secretary-Treasurer from 1978-1980.
END

Catherine Rudin added (in a message to me), "I'm sure he was a
founding member; he organized the first conference, in 1972 or 73,
which I got to help out at as a very excited sophomore." Indeed, the
subtitle of the proceedings volume specifies the date: "Proceedings of
the First International Conference on Bulgarian Studies, held at the
University of Wisconsin, Madison, May 3-5, 1973"

--Loren Billings