Soviet slogan "Dayosh!"

Fri Jun 6 15:48:04 UTC 2014

Thanks again to the second generation of responders, who as might be
expected outnumbered the first generation and provided additional insights.

I was pleased to see that I am not the only one who still has Steve
Marder's dictionary, but embarrassed that I had focused on electronic
sources while overlooking his.

These constructions with даёшь remind me a little of the Korean
constructions with 주다 /juda/ "to give," where the verb is used as a
sort of auxiliary when the action will benefit another. E.g.,

민희는 엄마를 도와 주었다
Minhui-neun eeomma-reul dowa ju-eot-ta
Minhee-topic Mom-acc. help give-past-declarative
Minhee did Mom the favor of helping her.

More examples here, clearest after the photo (the English glosses
suffice to make the point):
<http://www.learnkoreanlp.com/2008/10/give-favour-of.html>

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.