Translation question?

Thu Jun 12 04:18:02 UTC 2014

Anthony Anemone wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> Is there a standard translation of   "Академия Искусствознания"?  Art
> History doesn't seem right since you could study to become a film
> director there. . .  "Art Studies" is closer but that term doesn't seem
> to be used much in (American) English. . .  is that the best we have?
> or am I missing something?

Several dictionaries equate "искусствознание" to "искусствоведение," if
that helps. But you're right to be cautious about "art" sg. because most
Americans, absent further context, will take it narrowly to mean
"graphic arts" and need to be cued to broaden it. That's why we have
elaborate phrasings like "visual and performing arts."

See the first three graphs here:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_art>

See also this page:
<http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%98%D1%81%D0%BA%D1%83%D1%81%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B5>
or
<http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Искусствоведение>

for which the corresponding English page is
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_art>

Would "Academy of Fine Arts" be too broad for your taste?

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com