Ukraine/The Ukraine

Wed Jun 18 13:55:56 UTC 2014

anne marie devlin wrote:

> Dear Seelangers
>
> Would any of you happen to know when 'The Ukraine' officially became
> known as 'Ukraine' in English?  I presume sometime after 1993, but
> would be very grateful for precise information on this as I can't
> seem to find it anywhere.

Since there is no "académie anglaise" or equivalent, everyone pretty
much does as they please; there is no "official" English.

Of course, you can make up your own definition by setting some
organization as your standard. E.g., "since xx.xx.xxxx, the U.S. State
Department has dropped the article." That makes it much easier to do the
research.

This article may be of use in that research:
<http://www.ukrweekly.com/old/archive/2006/460614.shtml>

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com