Ukraine/The Ukraine

Chris Stroop cstroop at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 22 17:33:08 UTC 2014

Wow, what an incredibly spiteful, belittling, and conveniently dismissive
response! Whether she was taking the situation literally or hypothetically
is immaterial (the original phrasing was also ambiguous). Her response
still stands. Asking what you would theoretically call your hypothetical
African-American neighbor behind his back is perfectly valid here, the
implied question obviously being whether you find it acceptable to refer to
other people in demeaning ways, at least if they're not around. Apparently
you're willing to do so quite openly, since you insist on referring to
"the" Ukraine, Ukrainians' sentiments (and the demonstrable imperial
meaning of the definite article in such cases in English) be damned.

I'm not one to step into these controversies, generally, nor am I very
active on this list, but I'm not going to simply stand by when I see
someone being treated so poorly by a senior colleague. Your response is
tone deaf at the very least.

Christopher Stroop
PhD, History and Humanities, Stanford University
Senior Lecturer, RANEPA, Moscow
Editor, *State, Religion and Church*
https://rane.academia.edu/ChristopherStroop
<http://www.SacraMentalities.org>