Money question

Richard Robin rrobin at EMAIL.GWU.EDU
Mon Jun 23 20:37:59 UTC 2014

​Others will correct me if I'm wrong. But in 1950, the ruble was
​officially worth 10 times the amount it was worth at devaluation in 1961.
In 1961, the average salary was 100 rubles. A university full professor
made about 400 - 500, a bus driver, 150 or so. In 1961 the official
exchange rate was $1.10 to the ruble, unoffocially a ruble was about 20 to
25 cents.

So 60,000 r then would have been 600 r in 1961, about sixth months average
salary.

Rich

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Anthony Anemone <AnemoneA at newschool.edu>
wrote:

> Recently in the archives I've come across Mosfilm contracts from 1950
> paying, for example,  60,000 rr to an author for turning his own original
> play into a literary screenplay and a director getting 15,000 rr for
> turning the literary script into a director's script.  Can someone give me
> a ballpark figure for what these amounts of money would have meant in 1950?
>

> Thanks,
> Tony
>
> --
> Tony Anemone