Opera in Imperial St. Petersburg

Brett Winestock brettrw at STANFORD.EDU
Sat Mar 8 04:32:19 UTC 2014

Yes, I know Serezha's comments make it seem like winter. But then I ask another question: how is it so?

Baby Anna falls in ill February (4.10) and "чрез месяц" Anna and Vronsky leave for Italy (4.23). They travel there for three months (5.7) before returning to St. Petersburg before planning on spending the summer on Vronsky's estate (5.13), which would mean they return in June.

If we are to believe that it was the following winter (as in, they stayed almost a year in Italy) it would throw them out of sync with Levin and Kitty's timeline. The Levins get married before Lent (5.1), and then in the third month of their marriage (5.14) Nikolai dies and Kitty realizes she is pregnant, to a baby she gives birth to that winter.

During the summer before Kitty gives birth, Anna and Vronsky are already on their estate (Dolly goes to visit them). Vronsky and Anna move to Moscow from the country "в конце ноября" (6.32) of that year, when the Levins are already there.

This means that Vronsky and Anna return to St. Petersburg BEFORE June, which would mean they spend even less than 3 months in Italy, or that Kitty is pregnant for a year and a half!

If you've got a clearer idea of this part of the timeline, I would love to hear it, I've really been racking my brain on this one!