Schools at Vorkuta GULAG in Komi ASSR?

Alexis Zimberg zimberg.alexis at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 14 14:20:44 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

I am reaching out to you because I have been asked by a friend from Minsk
to help her to organize/ write her memoires about her experiences living in
the Minsk Ghetto and growing up in the GULAG in Vorkuta (Komi ASSR). What
was most unfamiliar to me about her story was that she attended school as a
child in the GULAG. Her father was incarcerated per a 1936 political arrest
and, after WWII, her mother and she travelled to Komi to live with her
father in the GULAG. She says that her classes were very good (both secular
and religious) as many public intellectuals and Jewish educators were
imprisoned in the camp and thus taught in the informal school.

My question for you is whether you have knowledge of any background
information about schools in the GULAGs, families living in the GULAGs to
be near their imprisoned family members, and any recommended reading about
this GULAG in particular at Vorkuta. This was the first time that I heard
something like this (about the schools, especially) and wonder if you might
be able to point me in the right direction (in Russian or in English).

(I also reached out to my friend at Memorial in Moscow.)

Kindly,
Alexis Zimberg

--

*Alexis Zimberg*Director
*Democratic Transitions and Media Analysis*[image: Picture]

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs