Survey: Teaching and Studying Belarusian in the US and Canada

Curt Woolhiser cwoolhis at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 31 04:07:28 UTC 2014

Dear Colleagues:

I am preparing a presentation on the teaching of Belarusian at the
postsecondary level in the US and Canada, and for this purpose would like
to conduct a short survey of faculty in North America who have taught
Belarusian, or who have supervised students studying it as an individual
tutorial. I am aware that a number of universities in the US and Canada
have on occasion offered Belarusian language instruction, usually in the
form of individual tutorials, but would like to make sure that my
information is as complete and up-to-date as possible. If you or any of
your colleagues have experience in this area, I would be grateful if you
could answer the following questions and send your responses to me at
cwoolhis at brandeis.edu by June 10 at the latest:

1. Name and email:

2. Institution:

3. Course format (e.g. full course, individual tutorial)

4. Course focus: 4 skills, for reading knowledge only

5. Textbook(s) and other course materials used (literary texts, print and
electronic media, etc.):

6. Number of students:

7. Language background of students (e.g. prior knowledge of Russian,
Ukrainian, Polish or other Slavic languages, heritage speakers):

8. Year(s) taught:

Please feel free to add any comments about your experience teaching
Belarusian in the US and/or Canada, including your assessment of existing
textbooks and other teaching resources.

Дзякуй вялікі!  Many thanks!

Curt Woolhiser

=============================