Help with a Kola Beldy video

Thu Sep 4 07:42:53 UTC 2014

Francoise Rosset wrote:

> A colleague of mine in Music has asked me for any info on the Kola Beldy
> video found at:
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiae8KvCJ0c>
>
> ANY help would be appreciated.
> I gave her some info on Asian-Russians and the various groups in the
> East, but that was the extent on my contribution, and the people on the
> video certainly do not look Nanai.

It wouldn't be surprising if a singer assembled backup dancers of other
ethnic groups as long as they could do the job. I doubt this is a
traditional Nanai folk dance. ;-)

> There is a translation posted below the video, by a commenter.
> She thinks that can't be the actual words, I don't really see why not,
> though I'm not sure "Hanina Ranina" means Hanina "injured."
>
> Anyone know what language this is? Do the Nanai have their own language
> and is this what this is?
> Again, ANY comments would be helpful.

Wikipedia page on the performer:
<https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%B4%D1%8B,_%D0%9D%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B9_%D0%98%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%87>
or <https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Бельды,_Николай_Иванович>

Another page, with substantial overlap since the Wikipedia page draws
upon it:
<http://www.peoples.ru/art/music/stage/beldy/>

These sources describe him as ethnic Nanai, though he is said to have
sung about a variety of Far Eastern settings and cultures. Translation
of both is left as an exercise to the reader. ;-)

This page offers a translation of the lyrics, though of course I can't
vouch for its accuracy:
<http://weirdvideo.net/post/10854111910/the-siberian-hunters-song-hanina-ranina-hanina>

The Nanai do have their own language, said to be a member of the
Tungusic family; it has few remaining speakers (1400 in 2010). The
family has been compared with the Turkic family and with Korean and
Japanese, but the time depths are so great that it's difficult to
separate mutual influence from genetic relationship and draw firm
conclusions. The region is full of agglutinative languages with vowel
harmony, no relative pronouns, etc.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanai_language>

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.