Russian at ACTFL 2014

Benjamin Rifkin rifkin at TCNJ.EDU
Sat Sep 6 23:11:43 UTC 2014

Dear SEELANGers:

As you make your plans to go to San Antonio for ASEEES, please consider spending a day at the ACTFL Convention, which will be held at the very same time, right across the street.

There are over 20 sessions on the teaching of Russian at the ACTFL Conference, including presentations by the following individuals (listed alphabetically by last name):  Cori Anderson, Valerie Anishchenko, Anne Baker, Jennifer Bown, Tony Brown, Valery Chastnykh, Joan Chevalier, William Comer, Matthew Dame, Natalia Dame, Lynne deBenedette, William Eggington, Karen Evans-Romaine, Thomas Garza, Serafima Gettys, Valentina Iepuri, Olga Kagan, Liudmila Klimanova, Olga Livshin, Olesia Lyskovtseva, Olga Makinina, Camelot Marshall, Cynthia Martin, Julia Mikhailova, Dianna Murphy, Alexander Pichugin, Benjamin Rifkin, Francoise Rosset, Betsy Sandstrom, Jane Shuffelton, Shannon Spasova, Mara Sukholutskaya, Ekaterina Talalakina, Julia Titus, Anna Tumarkin, Irina Walsh, Jeffrey Watson, Cori Weiner, Michele Whaley, and Snezhana Zheltoukhova.

The presentations range broadly in topic including:  teaching with technology, teaching through literature, learning in study abroad, curricular planning, tutoring program design, pronunciation, teaching Pussy Riot, teaching at the high school level, teaching at the university level, teaching with songs, games in the classroom, teaching with debate, teaching heritage learners, language skills of teaching assistants, engaging millennial learners, and more.

The American Council of Teachers of Russian is also sponsoring a networking session for Russianists at the conference, so we have a slot, without competing Russian-related presentations, to come together and connect.

The exhibit hall at the convention will feature exhibits by many of the publishers of our major textbooks as well as the national resource centers and flagship programs.

Many of the Russian-related panels are listed in the Convention Program as of interest to attendees teaching any language, and therefore you will not be able to find them through the on-line program or the app by searching for Russian.  (You can find them by session title or presenter name.)

In order to facilitate your visit to the ACTFL Convention, I have created a website listing all the sessions by date and time, providing full location information so you can plan your visit.

You can find this information at this website:

http://hss.pages.tcnj.edu/russian-at-actfl-2014/

(If your information is missing from this list or if your information is inaccurate, please contact me off-list and I will correct).

I encourage you to bookmark the page or print it out to take with you to the Convention.  Then use the app to check for last minute changes at the Convention.

So please join us at  ACTFL 2014, across the street from ASEEES.  Make your plans to come to San Antonio November 21-23, 2014.

To register and get more information, see http://www.actfl.org/convention-expo

With best wishes,

Ben Rifkin
The College of New Jersey