Muratova film to screen at Cambridge Symposium on 19 September

S. K. Larsen 2slarsen at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 8 18:33:35 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Just a gentle reminder that the Cambridge-UCL Symposium on 'New
Directions in Russian, Soviet and Post-Soviet Cinema Studies' begins
on 18 September.  Registration closes on 12 September. There have been
some changes to the preliminary programme, as a few colleagues are no
longer able to attend, but we are very pleased with the current
line-up and looking forward to a lively event.

We are particularly pleased to announce that, thanks to SOTA Cinema
Group (Ukraine), we will be able to screen a subtitled copy of Kira
Muratova's most recent film, 'Vechnoe vozvrashchenie' (Ukraine, 2012).
As the Symposium is intended to celebrate the career and many
contributions of Professor Julian Graffy, it seems particularly
appropriate to feature work by a filmmaker about whom he has written
so frequently and so well. We also hope that a film about 'endless
returning' will  provide a productive counterpoint to the Symposium's
thematic emphasis on 'new directions' in cinema studies. Thanks to the
generosity of Cambridge Ukrainian Studies, this screening will take
place in the comfortable setting of the Cambridge Arts Picturehouse
and will be followed by a festive reception.

You will find the updated programme and information about how to
register as a delegate on the Symposium website:
http://www.kino.group.cam.ac.uk.

with apologies for cross-posting and best wishes to all,

Susan Larsen
(writing on behalf of the organisers:  Phil Cavendish, Rachel Morley,
Anna Toropova and Emma Widdis).

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs