perfect tense

Terry Moran t.moran at NEW.OXON.ORG
Thu Sep 11 06:32:35 UTC 2014

Frank -

It's fine, but as a fully paid-up pedant I can't resist pointing out that
(a) я устал is the (only) past tense of a perfective verb, not the perfect
tense (which doesn't exist in Russian); and (b) none of the ways I can
think of to say вчера вечером я устал in English is in the perfect tense
either: *I was tired* (imperfect of *to be*), *I got tired *(simple
past/preterite of *to get*). You can contrive a perfect tense, but only in
more complex contexts: *I've been as tired as this before, but only once*
(perfect tense of *to be*).

I'm not even trying to get out more ...

Terry Moran

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs