perfect tense

Brian Hayden bkhayden1990 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 11 12:19:03 UTC 2014

Dear SEELANGers,

Mr. Gladner's post reminded me of something that I always wondered about.
Until someone pointed out to me that Я устал was a sentence consisting of
subject + perfective verb, I had always assumed that it was a copular
sentence --  subject + predicate adjective, with «устал» not being the past
tense of a verb, but rather the short form of the adjective усталый. That
leads me to this question: is there any case in modern Russian in which Я
устал is, всё-таки, a present tense subject + predicate adjective sentence,
and not a subject + perfective past tense verb?

Sincerely,

Brian Hayden

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs