perfect tense

Thu Sep 11 16:31:15 UTC 2014

Sentinel76 Astrakhan wrote:

> To me "вчера вечером я устал" sounds completely unnatural. The
> proper way is "Вчера вечером я был усталым" or, colloquially, "вчера
> вечером я был усталый".

I took the past perfective to denote a change in state (from fresh to
tired): "I became tired." This transition was complete at the stated
time. No?

The options you offer clearly denote an ongoing (imperfective) state of
affairs, not the same thing.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com