[Bulk] Re: [SEELANGS] perfect tense

Robert Orr colkitto at ROGERS.COM
Fri Sep 12 03:45:06 UTC 2014

The tie up between perfective and stative is interesting here

я устал could in theory be either a short adjective or a perfective; as
Wayles points out.

The meaning could be basically the same, but with a slight difference of
emphasis;  "I am tired" concentrating on the state resulting from the
transition and "I have got tired" concentrating on the point of transition
(not tired >  tired) itself.

The title of the song Раскинулось Море Широко is an excellent example of the
phenomenon.

I think Forsyth discusses it in A Grammar of Aspect

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Paul B. Gallagher
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:31 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [Bulk] Re: [SEELANGS] perfect tense

Sentinel76 Astrakhan wrote:

> To me "вчера вечером я устал" sounds completely unnatural. The proper
> way is "Вчера вечером я был усталым" or, colloquially, "вчера вечером
> я был усталый".

I took the past perfective to denote a change in state (from fresh to
tired): "I became tired." This transition was complete at the stated time.
No?

The options you offer clearly denote an ongoing (imperfective) state of
affairs, not the same thing.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com