Boren Awards and Project GO in Russia

Powers, Christopher CPowers at IIE.ORG
Thu Sep 18 21:21:29 UTC 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Given the recent discussions regarding Boren and Project GO funding for Russia, I wanted to weigh in and provide some clarification. The Institute of International Education (IIE) administers the Boren Awards and Project GO on behalf of the National Security Education Program (NSEP). We have been working closely with NSEP, our students, and their advisers on this issue.

We recently informed our students and their advisers that NSEP has decided that as of August 2014 there will be a hiatus in new Boren Scholarship and Fellowship programming in Russia for the academic year 2014-2015.

Likewise, in summer 2014, Project GO students studying Russian did so in programs outside of Russia. Project GO awards are managed through a series of partnerships with U.S. institutions of higher education, and because of the current uncertainty and the planning required, we have asked our Project GO institutional partners to pursue alternate programs outside of Russia for summer 2015.

As Boren Scholarships and Fellowships are individual awards, students may still apply for Boren Scholarships and Fellowships to study in Russia for the 2015-16 academic year. IIE and NSEP will continue to monitor the situation and will reevaluate in the spring.

In any event, IIE and NSEP remain committed to supporting overseas study for all of our awardees, and will work with all of our students, partners, and advisers to find appropriate alternate programs as needed.

Should anyone have any further questions, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Best regards,

Christopher Powers
Director, Education Abroad Programs
Boren Scholarships and Fellowships
Institute of International Education (IIE)
1400 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20005
202.326.7773
cpowers at iie.org | www.iie.org<http://www.iie.org>
Twitter  @IIEGlobal | Facebook  IIEGlobal | Blog  Opening Minds

Opening Minds to the World®

Boren Scholarships and Fellowships, Initiatives of the National Security Education Program Twitter @BorenAwards | Facebook  BorenAwards | YouTube BorenAwards | www.borenawards.org<http://www.borenawards.org>

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs