Ty/Vy oddities?

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Sep 19 15:18:58 UTC 2014

The second one is easier to explain. It is not exactly "reported speech" but "processed reported speech", so the speaker stays aware from beginning to end that they are talking to HIM and he gets into the skin of the speaker who talks to him. So it is as if he himself became the speaker who addressed him, and he cannot address himself with VY.

The first one is more difficult particularly without exact data. This is probably lower social class speaker and he uses ONE listener in the crowd to stand for the crowd, as if he spoke to one person. It adds a narrative element to the story, because he brings the listener in. Обобщенно-личное 2 p sg, and sometimes pl (Turgenev had some examples of that) while speaking of oneself serves the same purpose supposedly.

Alina